Thursday 15 December 2022

Data, data, data

I love data, in all its forms, it fascinates and excites me.

From school, when it was maps and all their hidden dimensions. 

At university where I studied Information Science and encountered computers and databases for the first time. 

My summer internship working on a full text retrieval database, learning about thesauri and encountering a terminal with a screen. 

My first full time job at the Science Museum implementing PC's and Amstrads. 

After that it was always computers and their data. PC's to start with, then Unix servers and  database management systems. 

Learning to write code for simple reports, then coding applications, writing documentation, implementing and training users in them. 

In all over 30 years of IT and database experience with Progress, Oracle and SQL Server. 

Then I stopped and had a break. For the last six years. I chose to care for my Mum.

But now it's time to start working with databases again, I'm ready to step back into the IT world and I know it's changed massively in those six years. It's a daunting prospect, but I'm more than ready for it, and I'm looking for some assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment